Edited by John B. Hattendorf and Bruce A. Elleman. Presents a collection of brief scholarly essays on nineteen modern U.S. Navy admirals who showed notable achievements in operational, strategic, and diplomatic affairs throughout the course of their career, including such leading figures as William Sims, Raymond Spruance, Arleigh Burke, Arthur Radford, Thomas Moorer, and Elmo Zumwalt.
Table of Contents:
List of Maps and Illustrations
Introduction—John B. Hattendorf
1. Radical, But Right—William Sowden Sims (1858-1936), by Branden Little and Kenneth J. Hagan
2. Efficiency—William Harrison Standley (1872-1963), by Craig C. Felker
3. Sound Judgment —William Daniel Leahy (1875-1959), by Robert James Maddox
4. Right Man, Right Place, Right Time—Richmond Kelly Turner (1885-1961), by Donald Chisholm
5. Clear Purpose, Comprehensive Execution —Raymond Ames Spruance (1886-1969), by Wayne P. Hughes, Jr.
6. Disciplined—Thomas Cassin Kinkaid (1888-1972), by Trent Hone
7. Persistent—Alan Goodrich Kirk (1888-1963), by David Kohnen
8. Enthusiasm—Richard Lansing Conolly (1892-1962), by Jeffrey G. Barlow
9. Out-Spoken—Arthur William Radford (1896-1973), by John K. Ohl
10. Visionary Yet Realistic—Arleigh Albert Burke (1901-1996), by David Alan Rosenberg
11. People Come First—Harry Donald Felt (1902-1992), by Eric W. Osborne
12. Partnership—Horacio Rivero Jr. (1910-2000), by Sarandis Papadopoulos
13. Bold But Prudent—Thomas Hinman Moorer (1912-2004), by Stanley D.M. Carpenter
14. Multilateral—Richard Gary Colbert (1915-1973), by Joel J. Sokolsky
15. Maverick—Elmo Russell Zumwalt (1920-2000), by R. Blake Dunnavent
16. Operational— James Lemuel Holloway III (1922-), byDavid F. Winkler
17. Readiness—Carlisle Albert Herman Trost (1930-), by Edgar F. Puryer, Jr.
18. Honesty—Leighton Warren Smith Jr. (1939-), by Paul Stillwell
19. The Right Skill Sets—Joseph Wilson Prueher (1941-), by Bruce A. Elleman
Conclusions: A comparative discussion of operational, strategic, and diplomatic leadership.—John B. Hattendorf and Bruce A. Elleman
About the Contributors
NOTE: NO FURTHER DISCOUNTS FOR ALREADY REDUCED SALE ITEMS.
Other related products:
Talking About Naval History: A Collection of Essays --Print Paperback format can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-046-00263-1 --ePub format avaialble through select e-sales channels at this link: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-300-00009-7 --NOTE: Please use ISBN: 9780160918728 to search for this product through the e-sales channel platform.
Counterinsurgency Leadership in Afghanistan, Iraq and Beyond can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-046-00274-6
Naval Leadership in Korea: The First Six Months can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-046-00199-5
The Role of Leadership in Transitional States: The Cases of Lebanon, Israel-Palestine can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-000-01090-1
Directors of the Central Intelligence as Leaders of the United States Intelligence Community, 1946-2005 can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/041-015-00247-3
The Greene Papers: General Wallace M. Greene Jr. and the Escalation of the Vietnam War, January 1964-March 1965 can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-055-00267-2
Strategy and Grand Strategy: What Students and Practitioners Need to Know can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-000-01180-0
Mastering the Gray Zone: Understanding a Changing Era of Conflict can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-000-01169-9
A Soldier\'s Morality, Religion, and Our Professional Ethic: Does the Army\'s Culture Facilitate Integration, Character Development, and Trust in the Profession? can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-000-01112-5
Faith and Hope in a War-Torn Land: The US Army Chaplaincy in the Balkans, 1995-2005--print Paperback format can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-029-00440-2 --also available in ePub format through select e-sales channels at this link: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/999-000-44448-2 NOTE: Please use ISBN: 9780160872792 to search for this ePub through the select e-channels.
Other products produced by the U.S. Naval War College (USNWC) can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/agency/621
- GPO Stock Number:
- Availability Details:
- In Stock - Warehouse and Retail (Priced)
- USA Price:
- International Price:
- Defense Dept., Navy, Naval War College
- Hattendorf. John B.Elleman, Bruce A.
- 2009: 284 p.; ill.
- Key Phrases:
- Naval Leadership During the 20th and Early 21st CenturiesNaval HistoryBiographiesAdmirals
- SuDocs Class:
- 1.3125 lb.
- Quantity Price:
- Subject Bibliography:
- Unit of Issue (U.S.):
- Item Available Date:
- Last Status Update: