Every four years, just after the Presidential election, "United States Government Policy and Supporting Positions" is published. It is commonly known as the "Plum Book" and is alternately published between the House and Senate.
The Plum Book is a listing of over 9,000 civil service leadership and support positions (filled and vacant) in the Legislative and Executive branches of the Federal Government that may be subject to noncompetitive appointments or, in other words, by direct appointment.
These "plum" positions include agency heads and their immediate subordinates, policy executives and advisors, and aides who report to these officials. Many positions have duties which support Administration policies and programs. The people holding these positions usually have a close and confidential relationship with the agency head or other key officials.
Positions in the Plum Book include the following:
- Executive Schedule and salary-equivalent positions paid at the rates established for Levels I through V of the Executive Schedule.
- Senior Executive Service "General" positions (i.e., those positions which may be filled by a career, non-career, or limited appointment)
- Senior Foreign Service positions
- Schedule C positions excepted from the competitive service by the President, or by the Director, Office of Personnel Management, because of the confidential or policy-determining nature of the position duties
- Other confidential or policy-determining positions at the GS-14 and above level excepted from the competitive civil service by law because of the confidential or policy-determining nature of the position duties
ITEM AVAILABLE DATE 12/05/16
NOTE: NO FURTHER DISCOUNTS FOR ALREADY REDUCED SALE ITEMS.
Other related resources:
Sourcebook of United States Executive Agencies, December 2012 is available here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/041-001-00697-4
United States Government Manual 2013 is available here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/069-000-00216-1
Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 -Print Paperback format -is available here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/029-001-03482-2
For comparisons and research, previous year volumes:
Occupational Outlook Handbook 2008-09 (Clothbound) is available here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/029-001-03466-1
Occupational Outlook Handbook 2006-07 (Clothbound) can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/029-001-03450-4 --Print Paperback format can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/029-001-03451-2
Career Guide to Industries, 2006-2007 can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/029-001-03458-0
For research and comparison, check out United States Government Policy and Supporting Positions, 2008 (Plum Book) available here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/052-070-07534-1
Audience: Anyone interested in available jobs and internships with the federal government would find the Plum Book informative.
Keywords: plum book, Plum Book, Presidential appointed jobs, presidential appointees, president appointed jobs, president appointee jobs, federal appointed jobs, federal appointed career service, Federal jobs, federal jobs, federal interns, Federal Interns, federal intern jobs, government jobs, Federal Plum assignments, federal plum assignments, federal plum job assignments
- GPO Stock Number:
- Availability Details:
- In Stock - Warehouse and Retail (Priced)
- USA Price:
- International Price:
- Senate, Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- 2016: 234 p.
- Key Phrases:
- Plum Book 2016Government EmploymentEmployment
- SuDocs Class:
- 1.0625 lb.
- Quantity Price:
- Subject Bibliography:
- Unit of Issue (U.S.):
- Item Available Date:
- Last Status Update: