The Office of Scientific Intelligence (OSI) was created in 1949, driven by the concerns of technological surprise in nuclear weapons, biological warfare, and guided missiles.
OSI was formed by expanding the Scientific Intelligence Branch of the Office of Reports and Estimates (ORE) and combining it with the Nuclear Energy Group of the Office of Special Operations (OSO). It was one of the longest-standing offices in the Directorate of Intelligence, surviving over 31 years until it was merged with the Office of Weapons Intelligence (OWI) on 25 February 1980 to form the Office of Scientific and Weapons Research.
This collection is centered on the three-volume history of OSI. It includes selected National Intelligence Estimates, other intelligence reports drafted by OSI, pertinent Studies in Intelligence articles, and other early OSI historical documents. This collection provides a glimpse of the CIA’s overall contributions to science and technology during the Cold War.
The Central Intelligence Agency’s Information Management Services’ Historical Collections Division and Information Review Division reviewed, redacted, and released dozens of documents highlighting the history and work of the Office of Scientific Intelligence (OSI). The accompanying DVD contains over 50 documents and 2,000 pages of formerly classified material.
Other related products:
Studies in Intelligence, Journal of the American Intelligence Professional, Unclassified Articles From Studies in Intelligence, V. 54, No. 3 (September 2010) is available here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/041-015-00272-4
Critical Thinking and Intelligence Analysis can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-020-01589-0
Other products produced by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Center for the Study of Intelligence (CSI) can be found here: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/agency/1123
Keywords: National and foreign intelligence, Cold War history, science+technology, humanities academic discipline research, weapons of mass destruction, primary source documents
- GPO Stock Number:
- Availability Details:
- Being Reprinted (Priced, No Stock Available in Warehouse or Retail)
- USA Price:
- International Price:
- Central Intelligence Agency, Center for the Study of Intelligence; and Historical Collections Division
- 2008: 40 p.; ill. and DVD.
- This collection is centered on the three-volume history of OSI. It includes selected National Intelligence Estimates, other intelligence reports drafted by OSI, pertinent Studies in Intelligence articles, and other early OSI historical documents. This collection provides a glimpse of the CIA's overall contributions to science and technology during the Cold War.
- Key Phrases:
- Original Wizards of LangleyCentral Intelligence AgencyIntelligence HistoryOffice of Scientific Intelligence
- SuDocs Class:
- 0 lb.
- Quantity Price:
- Subject Bibliography:
- Unit of Issue (U.S.):
- Item Available Date:
- Last Status Update: