This booklet and accompanying DVD highlight some of the most closely guarded activities of the CIA. Covering one of the controversial operations in American history, these histories show the changes and impacts of the CIA's Civil Air Transport (CAT) – predecessor to Air America – along with life and history of Southeast Asia.
CAT was originally a Chinese air cargo service in the late 1940s, that was then used to support Chiang Kai-shek in his civil war with Mao Zedong's communists. By 1950 when Chiang was defeated, the airline was going bankrupt. The CIA then bought it and operated it as a public airline with secret missions that supported United States covert operations throughout East and Southeast Asia, including the Cold War, Korean War and Vietnam War.
These histories of CAT were written by Alfred T. Cox, President of CAT after its acquisition by the CIA, who guided both the covert and public commercial operations.
As the title suggests, these histories are normally not released in any form to the public, but now the DVD contains hundreds of recently declassified materials.
Keywords: Foreign Intelligence, China, primary source research. humanities academic discipline, covert operations, American History
- GPO Stock Number:
- Availability Details:
- Being Reprinted (Priced, No Stock Available in Warehouse or Retail)
- USA Price:
- International Price:
- Central Intelligence Agency, Center for the Study of Intelligence; and Information Management Services, Historical Collections Division
- Cox, Alfred T.Delkrag, Paul A.
- 2011: Book (16 p.; ill.) and CD. 2016-repr.
- This booklet shows changes and impacts of Civil Air Transport (CAT) - predecessor to Air America - along with life and history of South-East Asia. On cover: Welcome Aboard CAT. Prepared in coopeeration with the University of Texas at Dallas. The 2016 printing calls the DVD a CD.
- Key Phrases:
- Clandestine Services Histories of Civil Air TransportCentral Intelligence AgencyCAT (Civil Air Transport)Intelligence HistoryAviation HistoryCivil Air Transport: A Proprietary Airline, 1945-1955CSHP (Clandestine Services History Program)Central Intelligence Agencys Clandestine Services Histories
- SuDocs Class:
- 0.3125 lb.
- Quantity Price:
- Subject Bibliography:
- Unit of Issue (U.S.):
- Item Available Date:
- Last Status Update: