The Bureau of Land Management's Pioneer Program of the National Historic Trails Interpretive Center in Casper, Wyoming, focuses on the western trail heritage in Wyoming and its influence over American culture. Included are: references to the Oregon Territory and vocabulary words; native peoples including the Plains Indians; trails including the “Great Platte River Road; native plants including yucca and prickly pear cactus, animals including the buffalo and pronghorn antelope; famous explorers and travelers and the tools they used and food they ate along the trail; farm life; history including the Donation Land Claim Act, transcontinental railroad, and morse code for the telegraph.
The Bureau of Land Management's (BLM) Junior Explorer program helps introduce young explorers to the lands and resources that the BLM manages. Children who complete the age-appropriate activities in the book can mail it into BLM or come to the front desk at the National Historic Trails Interpretive Center in Casper, Wyoming, to receive the Junior Explorer Pioneer stamp of approval on their certificate. The BLM's Junior "EXPLORER" pledge outlines the goals of this series in educating children:
- EXamine historical connections.
- Promote wise stewardship of your land and resources.
- Learn about your heritage.
- Observe the surrounding landscapes.
- Reveal observations and trail history to others.
- Empower your mind with knowledge
Keywords: national historic trails, children’s books, children’s activity books, Oregon territory, plains Indians, greate platte river road, native plants, native animals, educational books, educational activity books
- GPO Stock Number:
- Availability Details:
- New Requisition (Priced)
- USA Price:
- International Price:
- Interior Dept., Bureau of Land Management, National Historic Trails Interpretive Center
- 2014: 20 p.; ill.
- GPO Sales paper copies have not arrived as of 9/17/14. I 53.2:J 95/6 http://purl.fdlp.gov/GPO/gpo51419 is an address for an electronic copy on the Internet.
- Key Phrases:
- Junior Explorer Pioneer Program Childrens Activity BookActivity BooksChildrens PublicationsTeaching MaterialsOregon TrailCaliforniaWyomingPony Express
- SuDocs Class:
- I 53.2:J 95/6
- 0.1875 lb.
- Quantity Price:
- Subject Bibliography:
- Unit of Issue (U.S.):
- Item Available Date:
- Last Status Update: