|Available Formats||Stock Number||Price||Availability||How to Buy|
|Paperback||052-070-07520-1||$ 21.50||In Stock||Click for details|
|Hardcover||052-070-07519-8||$ 27.00||In Stock||On This Page|
Black Americans in Congress, 1870-2007 provides a comprehensive history of the more than 120 African Americans who have served in the United States Congress through 2007. Individual profiles are introduced by contextual essays that explain major events in congressional and U.S. history. Illustrated with many portraits, photographs, and charts.
House Document 108-224. 3d edition. Edited by Matthew Wasniewski. Hardcover edition.
Questions that are answered include: How many African Americans have served in the U.S. Congress? How did Reconstruction, the Great Migration, and the post-World War II civil rights movement affect black Members of Congress? Who was the first African American to chair a congressional committee?
- Pioneers who overcame racial barriers, such as Oscar De Priest of Illinois, the first African American elected to Congress in the 20th century, and Shirley Chisholm of New York, the first black Congresswoman
- Masters of institutional politics, such as Augustus "Gus" Hawkins of California, Louis Stokes of Ohio, and Julian Dixon of California
- Notables such as Civil War hero Robert Smalls of South Carolina, civil rights champion Adam Clayton Powell, Jr., of New York, and constitutional scholar Barbara Jordan of Texas
- And many more.
Black Americans in Congress also includes:
- Pictures-including rarely seen historical images-of each African American who has served in Congress
- Bibliographies and references to manuscript collections for each Member
- Statistical graphs and charts
- A comprehensive index
- GPO Stock Number:
- Availability Details:
- In Stock - Warehouse and Retail (Priced)
- USA Price:
- International Price:
- House, Office of the Clerk, Office of History and Preservation
- Wasniewski, Matthew
- 2008: 803 p.; ill.
- Key Phrases:
- House Document 108 224CongressAfrican American HistoryBlack HistoryBiographies
- SuDocs Class:
- 7.625 lb.
- Quantity Price:
- Subject Bibliography:
- 006 201
- Unit of Issue (U.S.):
- Item Available Date:
- Last Status Update: